Granlibakken History

Timeline

1922
1922: Snow Play at Ski Canyon

1922: Snow Play at Ski Canyon

1922 marks the first recorded use of the ski and sled area, which was called “Ski Canyon” by locals.
1926
Olympic Hill Ski and Sled

1926-27: Tahoe Tavern Opens for the Winter Season

Tahoe Tavern, owned by mining and logging magnate D.L. Bliss,  stays open for the winter season. A toboggan slide, ski jump, and small warming hut are built. During Tahoe Tavern operations, the hill becomes known as the Tahoe Tavern Winter Sports Grounds. Visitors are transported by sleigh to watch ski jumping exhibitions, dog sled races, and to go sledding.

1927
Lake Tahoe Ski History

1927-29: Winter Sports Grounds

During a time when most people did not know how to downhill ski, The Tahoe Tavern Winter Sports Grounds hosts a number of exhibitions for the enjoyment of Tahoe Tavern guests. These exhibitions include ski jumping tournaments, dog sled races, and cross-country ski races.

1929
ski jump tahoe

1929: Ski Jump Constructed

In 1929, under the supervision of professional ski jumper Lars Haugen, a new ski jump with a trajectory of 260 ft. is constructed at the Tahoe City Winter Sports Grounds. This jump becomes host to a number of ski jumping exhibitions that hundreds would come to spectate.